Thursday 26 May 2011

A Fridge Prepared for Punting


I've visited Cambridge twice this holiday and have been so delighted and impressed by it both times I think it may even supersede Oxford. Although, of course, I don't want to speak too soon. Oxford is my home town and I hold those feelings of attachment you get with a place that is full of memories and experience. However,  these memories are of the people and rarely of the place. My parents are in the process of moving from the house I was born in and lived in for 21 years, to a lovely but unfamiliar house near by.  A nugget that I will always hold during this time from my mother was that we can make a home anywhere as long as we are together with our comforts around us. 

Having let go of some of my loyalty to Oxford due to this uprooting, I fear Cambridge may have caught my affections at a vulnerable time! It is a magnificent city, when the sun shined upon the vast greens and the college steeples I gained a sort of comfort knowing that I could admire such sights without having to work as hard as those inside the buildings (and that I didn't have to see it in the rain). 

Punting on the Cam was, as you can imagine, delightful. The sun was shining, I'd made a Victoria Sponge and a Goats Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart and Anna had made a devilish Banoffee Pie. We packed our small raft with treats, and sun-cream for the fair skinned Jack, and set sale down the river, only to be joined by the rest of the tourist population in Cambridge that day. We were in such jolly moods that this didn't matter and there was boat banter to be had across the water and a sense of camaraderie in our voyage. Were we all going to the same shores to fight the same battle though? Well, yes, everyone seemed to moore up at the same time and cohabitate on the large expanse of grass where we managed to maintain enough privacy to eat all of our food without sharing one morsel. 
                        
The sights were spectacular, the shopping superb but the punting too packed for me and I thought it a little absurd. For authentic, non-tourist punting I will stick to The Cherwell Boat House where we all know how to punt in a straight line and we all know the direction to the Viccy Arms. http://www.victoriaarms.co.uk/home.php

X

P.s If you don't know what punting is, as some imbeciles don't, go get some culture in you.
Here's the recipe ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment