Thursday 12 January 2012

When Nobody's Looking

When I served up this meal my mum turned to me, smiled and said "The best meals always come when nobody's looking." 

Now, I realise that the dish looks fairly daunting and clumsy; a pile of mash with a fish-as-long-as-my-arm flung on top as if it's just jumped out of the water itself. But seriously, you wouldn't be questioning it if you could taste the quite simply amazing flavours from something so easy. 

3 Steps to make..
Normal mash (add celeriac to give it that extra lift and kick), bake your whole Mackerel with olive oil, a good helping of salt, pepper and squeezed slices of lemon for 20 minutes, leave the lemon slices in the tray with the fish, in the heat they will soften and give the oil a bit of zest. 

Serve with a caramelised red cabbage, the sweetness of this will explode when combined with the lemon. Start to fry in a pan with oil, then add about 2 large spoons of brown sugar and a good gulp of red wine vinegar and just let that cook 'till its soft and sweet. 

This meal is so simple, you can make it in 30 minutes and it is packed with healthy, nutritional goodies like omega 3 which is brain food perfect for us 3rd years about to tackle our last term and, of course, for all the other people who use their brains all the time...

I made this meal for myself and my parents and it came out of nowhere. Remember that not every meal has to be grand, expensive and time consuming. Sometimes, as my mum said, the best meals come from when you are most relaxed and without pressure. 

Contact me with any questions and happy healthy cooking! X

No comments:

Post a Comment